Located at the westernmost tip of Île de Nantes, Hangar 21 is better known by its moniker, Hangar à Bananes (aka, the “Banana Hangar) due to its unique history: designed in 1949-50, it was built to receive exotic fruit from Africa — like bananas and pineapples — which were then unloaded and stored in this air-conditioned hangar.
As property of the port of Nantes Saint-Nazaire, it was renovated to host the first edition of the Estuaire Nantes <> Saint-Nazaire art biennial in 2007, where it was used as a vast exhibition space.
Dubbed the HAB Galerie in 2011 — and managed by the public corporation Le Voyage à Nantes, which promotes Nantes and the surrounding region as a travel destination using culture — this permanent space is dedicated to contemporary art. Exhibitions here offer an opportunity to explore an artist’s work, which is planned and completed in-situ, whether it features videos, sculptures, paintings, installations — or all the above.
HAB Galerie also boasts an excellent bookstore- gift shop, with a wide array of publications on contemporary art, art history, architecture, design, graphic novels, children’s books, and a selection of original objects made by local creatives.
From 3 March to 8 May 2023
Léopold Rabus and Till Rabus
Book shopI’m interested
- 2012 Roman Signer “Mon Voyage à Nantes”
- 2013 Felice Varini “Suites d’éclats”
- 2014 Huang Yong Ping “les mues”
- 2015 Taturo Atzu, Tatzu Nishi, Tatzu Oozu, Tatsouro Bashi, Tazro Niscino “Solo Group Show“
- 2016 Ange Leccia “La mer allée avec le soleil“
- 2017 Daniel Dewar & Grégory Gicquel “Le Nu et la Roche“
- 2018 Céleste Boursier-Mougenot “fluides“
- 2019 Claire Tabouret “If only the see could sleep“
- 2020 Martine Feipel et Jean Bechameil “Automatic Revolution”
- 2021 Gilles Barbier “Travailler le dimanche“
- 2022 Bertrand Dezoteux “Mémoires d’un touriste”
- 2022 Michael Beutler “Plonger et puiser”
HAB Galerie, Quai des Antilles, Nantes
How to get there?
C5 Chronobus, Quai des Antilles stop.
T. 02 28 08 77 28
Open during the exhibition periods
Accessible to all members of the public
Gift shop and bookstore: books related to the artists on display, alongside a wide choice of titles in categories like contemporary art, art history, architecture, design, comics, or young adult, as well as a selection of designer and fun objects !